Saturday, June 20, 2015

In His Footsteps

The road is rough, I said dear Lord
There are some stones that hurt me so.
And he said, "Dear child, I understand,
I walked it long ago."
"But there is a cool green path" I said
"Let me walk there for a time".
"No child", He gently answered me,
"the green road does not climb."
"My burden", I said "is far too great, how can I bear it so?"
"My child", said He, "I remember its weight
I carried my cross you know."
"But" I said "I wish there were friends with me
who would make my way their own."
"Ah yes" said he "Gethsemane was hard to face alone"
And so I climbed the stony path content at last to know
That where my master had not gone
I would not need to go
And strangely then I found new friends,
the burden grew less sore.
As I remembered - long ago...
He went that way before.